Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Wonderful Weekend

My dad and stepmom live in Alaska.  Since they've moved up there, I only see them about 4 or 5 times a year.  This weekend was one of those times!  My dad was in Texas for work and decided to drive up to Fort Worth Saturday night to see us.  I was really excited about the trip because my dad has yet to see our apartment and he hasn't met Emma yet!  Unfortunately, it was just my dad on this trip.  My stepmom had other commitments and since it was just a short little trip, they weren't able to make it all work.  But hey, I'll take a visit any day!  I was a little nervous about Dad meeting Emma.  You see, I didn't exactly "share" the fact that we got a dog with them until it was necessary (i.e. I had to tell her to stop doing something while I was on the phone with Julianne).  Not that they're not supportive, they just didn't really think getting a dog was the best idea.    When I told my dad we got a dog, he was silent for about 30 seconds...  so I wanted to make sure that when he met her, he thought she was the most perfect dog ever (and why wouldn't he?).

I will say that Emma did not care for us cleaning the apartment at all.  She has been house broken since about 12 weeks and she peed in our room THREE times within the hour we spent cleaning.  I didn't know I was getting the kind of dog that carried out revenge plots, but here we are.

The only thing I was really worried about was Emma's breath.  It's terrible.  Awful.  Wretched.  Gross.  Because she is deep into teething, her mouth is constantly bleeding.  The blood mixed with her saliva makes her moth absolutely stink.  We bought some "doggie mints" at Petsmart - but they didn't really make a hug difference.  I remembered seeing something along those lines at Target so I went to pick some up a few days later.  Between the two, her breath was actually decent by the time Dad got here.

As soon as Dad started walking up the stairs to our apartment, I opened the door so Emma could run out and see him.  She stated wagging her butt (because she has no tail) so fast I thought she was going to throw her whole body on its side.  Emma loved my dad - and my dad loved Emma.  He spent the hour before we went to dinner playing with her. He kept talking how happy she seemed.  He was thoroughly impressed when he told her to "get her ball" and she went to find it for him.

I really enjoyed my dad being up here.  If anything, I'm a "Daddy's Girl" and seeing him and Julianne only four or five times a year just isn't enough (granted I don't mind trips to Alaska, either).  I'm glad he got the chance to see where we live and meet out precious Emma.  I still feel he probably thinks getting a dog wasn't the best idea, but it also wasn't the worst.  Love you, Dad! 






Thanks for reading!  Until Next week...


God Bless!

-Shelley

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a great visit with your dad. There would be no way he wouldn't love emma.

    ReplyDelete